Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Bunch of Skype

So I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but I really don't find much of a need for Skype in my professional life. While I can see it is a great tool for staying in touch with Grandmas across the world, I don't feel a need to use it to interact with other educators. To me, it just seems like using a phone, with the exception of being able to see the person. And I am not a phone person. I feel tied down when I'm talking on the phone and prefer to be able to multi-task which is difficult if you are sitting at your computer. I prefer an asynchronous type of format such as email or texting. I am not able to use Skype with my students since it is blocked (surprise!) But if they did unblock it, I can see how Skyping with another class in another country could be a great way for them to expand their horizons. That would be pretty cool.

2 comments:

  1. I am right with you! I do not see this as a great tool for me. I also multitask while on the phone and like to walk around. Can't do that on Skype. That is when I use the phone. I always put my foot in my mouth when on the phone so I try to avoid it.

    It is nice to see someone else who thinks like I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do see what you all mean. I don't Skype with friends, but we do use it for family chats with the kids. It could take the place of a face-to-face business meeting, too. I think there are possibilities for education, perhaps not regularly, though. If you had the chance to use it for an guest speaker, that might be a powerful application.
    I am not a phone person, either! When I Skype with people, especially for a professional setting, I feel the need to look presentable, which defeats the purpose of teaching online! LOL.

    ReplyDelete