Monday, July 11, 2011

The Paperless Trail

  • How would a paperless class change your role as a teacher?
I’ve actually begun to shift over to a paperless workshop in my inservice sessions and I love it. My role hasn’t changed as much as has the way I go about preparing for the workshop. In the past I would create handouts in Word, print them, make copies, put the copies in folders and pass out the folders as the teachers arrived. But with a paperless workshop I create all my “handouts” in Google Docs, then either share them directly with the attendees or attach a link to my website for them to access the information. My prep work is different and I am saving a lot of trees!
  • How would paperless classes change learning?
I’ve noticed that some teachers aren’t comfortable with learning onscreen and will print out the information once they’ve accessed it online. I always find that amusing because usually after the workshop, they can’t remember where they put the papers and email me for help!
  • How would you measure learning in a paperless class?
Not having a piece of paper doesn’t mean work isn’t handed in. It’s just done virtually. So for the blog posts that I’ve begun with the fifth graders, I will access and read their comments (much like this class) and give them feedback. It just streamlines the process.
  • Would a paperless space make it easier or harder to build a learning network? Why?
Paperless spaces would make it much easier to build a learning network. With an online meeting place, students, teachers, parents, and experts would all be able to interact and communicate with one another. Rather than write a letter or make a phone call, the pace of interactions would be quickened and the ability to collaborate would be made that much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment